Great writing starts with a good introduction. If you want to make the most out of your writing, ensure that you have a catchy introduction. An interesting read in the first few lines will create curiosity in your readers to yearn for more. Therefore, writing a good introduction is essential for excellent writing of any assignment. The first objective is to win the attention of your audience. Therefore, you must ensure you include good phrases to bring out that feel.
Include a general background to the topic you are writing about. Your audience wants to know where you are coming from and where you are headed with your writing. Therefore, you should take time to provide thorough writing about the topic before you can proceed on writing the rest of your essay body.
How to Write an Essay Introduction
As you prepare to write an essay introduction, there is a lot to remember and put into consideration to make it work for you. Here are important tips to remember:
- Draw skill from various sources. Good readers make good writers. A sure way of getting to write a good introduction is by making sure that you read quality sources from talented professional writers. They will help you understand the best approach to essay writing. Most importantly, you will see how they were able to start their topic.
- Include a thesis statement. Towards the end of the introduction, give direction to your essay. Here, you are required to write a thesis statement. This statement highlights the main objective of writing your specific essay. At this point, your audience will connect with the essay and long for the content in your writing.
- Discuss the purpose and significance of your essay. Part of what is included in the essay introduction is a look into the significance and need for writing such a topic. Your introduction should prepare your readers to learn throughout the essay. Make sure there are enough reasons as to why your essay is important.
- Make it brief and to the point. Don’t keep your readers waiting. They want to know what the essay topic is all about. Therefore, make sure you are straight to the point and brief. Your introduction should not be longer than the essay body. Do not take too long explaining the topic to forget explaining the real issues.
- Put your topic into context. Ensure that the topic is relevant and that the interest in writing about it is known to your audience. Your audience should be able to relate your topic with other important aspects in the wider scope.
Writing an introduction is the genesis of all written assignments. It is the start of your writing and therefore, you should make a good impression on your readers. Include catchy phrases in your introduction and let the reader have a reason to continue reading the essay after the first few sentences. A good introduction will help you get good readership and quality grades for your assignment.